Numeracy at Milawa Primary School is according to the Det Numeracy strategy. This enables us to be precise, personalised and professional in our teaching of your child. Essential Components of an Effective Primary Numeracy Lesson;
- Timetable indicates a committed daily block of 60 minutes.
- Classroom environment accommodates a differentiated numeracy lesson structure and appropriate resources for fluency.
- Class profiles are used when planning numeracy lessons.
- Precise student data is used to provide differentiated instruction.
- Students are familiar with classroom routines
- Teacher monitors/records student and teacher effectiveness.
Each lesson includes the following components:
Individualised practice time for strategies.
Whole Class Mini Lesson
Explicit teaching that is teacher directed.
Differentiated tools are used to match the tasks closely to student need.
Whole Class Reflection/Summary
We use student oral and written reflection to connect numeracy learning.
For more information view Literacy and Numeracy Strategy.pdf