Literacy at Milawa Primary School is according to the Hume Region Literacy Strategy. This enables us to be precise, personalized and professional in our teaching of your child. We explicitly teach reading and writing, this includes spelling, grammar, comprehension, handwriting, speaking and listening. Literacy is also integrated into each other content area. We utilise a number of literacy teaching strategies including:
- Café model for reading
- Daily 5
- Words Their Way spelling
- Reader’s and Writer’s Notebooks
- Strategies for Life Long Readers
A literacy lesson includes:
- Whole Class – A teacher reads/writes to or with the class
- Explicit Teaching Groups – 4-6 students selected for instruction according to their needs.
- A workshop used to reinforce the learning intention. Independent Practice – sustained independent reading/writing and practice according to learning intention.
- Whole Class Reflection